I saw several roman blind tutorials on the web, and they all looked pretty simple, so I just took general pointers from all of them for my version.
My favourite and by far the easiest one to follow is this one.
Please note that it literally took me 2 hours to do this, I measured very little and it really was a quickie job, so you will forgive the terrible photo's and the fact that I totally forgot to take picks of some of the stages at all!
So what you'll need is:
- Material for the front panel
- Lining for the back panel (could be block out if you want)
- Wooden dowels (you could use plastic ones too)
- Wood strips about 15mm thick and as long as u need
- Brass eye hooks
- Cord and plastic toggle and plastic rings
I first measured the window and decided on the size I wanted so that blind would strech about 10cm on either side of the window. We already had holes drilled for a curtain rail so I worked around those holes and their measurements becasue I needed to hide them too. So instead of fitting inside the window like most roman blinds do, mine hangs more like a curtain than a fitted blind.
Once you've worked out the size you need, cut your fabric and liner to suit this and allow about 1.5cm for seams. I sewed the seams in and then I pinned the fabric and liner WRONG sides together just to make sure they would fit nicely and that I wasn't off on the sizes. (Really I never take the time to measure things properly and usually just wing it )
(FYI at this point I got so excited about getting it finished, I forgot to take pictures!)
I then sewed Front panel and lining together (wrong sides together) taking care not to sew closed the slots where the dowels would slide in. (I tacked them closed when I was completely done with the blind)
After that I cut 2 sections of 15mm wooden strip slightly (about 1 cm each side) shorter than my blind. I glued one side of a strip of velcro to the wooden strip and then glued the other side of the velcro in the same way to the other wooden strip.
I folded the top of the fabric from my blind to just over the one wooden strip and staple gunned the blind to that wooden strip just above the velcro strip at the back.
By hand I sewed on the plastic rings the back of the blind equal lengths from the sides on the horizontal lines where the dowels would slide in.
I then turned in the brass eyes and threaded the blind using the same tutorial as I mentioned earlier and tied my toggles to the end of my cord.